A sore throat is also known as pharyngitis or tonsillitis. The pharynx is the part of the throat that lies between the mouth and the larynx or voice box. It is associated most commonly with the common cold or influenza. While most sore throats heal without complications, in some cases, they develop into a serious illness.
Read more on Home Remedies for Sore Throat and Home Remedies for Throat Irritation. Also visit on Herbal Remedies
Symptoms of Sore Throat
Following are the major sore throat symptoms:
1. Irritation of throat
2. Chills and fever
3. Pain in the throat
4. Swollen and tender lymph glands
5. Difficulty in swallowing
Causes of Sore Throat
Following are the major sore throat causes:
1. Common cold
Cough and Sore Throat Treatment
We can treat the cough depending upon the kind of infection we have. Antibiotics (like penicillin, erythromycin etc) and cough syrups can help one to treat coughs, which are bacterial in nature. If it's a dry cough, you can buy cough suppressants to quieten down the throat irritation. In case of a postnasal drip, you can take decongestants to reduce the drip, as well as, the cough.
Taking in plenty of liquids can help, just as humidifying the air in the room does help too. You can soothe your sore throat by taking in painkillers, cold drinks, ice creams and jelly. Gargling and throat lozenges help too in soothing a sore throat. Take some medical advice as soon as your child develops any signs of cough or sore throat especially if it is a recurrent phenomenon.
At times, you just have to wait for the cause of a sore throat to die out its natural lifespan. One can however also take pain-killers (like Tylenon) to relieve himself/herself of the pain. Coughs and sore throat are usually viral infections. Since antibiotics do not work on the viruses, one should depend on the immune system of the body to get rid of the virus itself
Natural Remedy for Sore Throat or Acute Pharyngitis
1. A mixture of 1 tea spoon of salt stirred into 8 ounces of water, when gargled several times a day helps to break congestion and clears throat.
2. Throat should be kept moist by sucking a hard candy.
3. More on aromatherapy oils for strep throat
4. Use a cool mist vaporizer or humidifier to keep throat and nasal membranes moist.
5. Chicken soup or herbal tea relieves sore throat temporarily.
How to Prevent Sore Throat
1. Avoid cigarette smoking.
2. Cover your mouth while sneezing or coughing
3. Avoid touching your nose, eyes and mouth
4. Wash your hands regularly
Herbal Remedies for Sore Throat
1. Chew some garlic pieces. It is an effective sore throat treatment.
2. Prepare marshmallow root tea by adding 1 tablespoon of the dried root to a cup. Add a cup (8 ounces) of boiling water, steep it covered for at least 10 minutes then strain. Drink up to 3 cups a day.
3. Prepare honeysuckle tea. Bring 1 quart of water to a boil. . Add 1 cup of honeysuckle flowers (not the leaves). Steep for at least 10 minutes, covered, and then strain. Sweeten with honey if desired. Drink up to 4 cups a day.